December 8, 2011

Where We Are

For someone that has moved four times, pretty soon five times in the past year, this poem really hit home for me.  Were I more eloquent, I would have written this exact poem myself. But I am not, so I have to settle for empathizing so completely with it, I will call it my anthem.

Where We Are
(For Edward Field)

i envy those
who live in two places:
new york, say, and london;
wales and spain;
l.a. and paris;
hawaii and switzerland.

There is always the anticipation
of the change, the chance that what is wrong
is the result of where you are. i have
always loved both the freshness of
arriving and the relief of leaving. with
two homes every move would be a homecoming.
i am not even considering the weather, hot
or cold, dry or wet: i am talking about hope.

--Gerland Locklin

I know I always feel a sense of relief when I leave a place and foolishly think all my problems are going to be solved once I arrive at my new place. Overly optimistic I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment