November 17, 2011

A Boy and A Girl

It's Thursday again and that means a new poem. There are many things in life that feed my soul. Art and music. And poetry. You can often find me in the poetry section of Barnes and Nobel, sitting on the floor, reading. Poetry goes straight to my heart and makes me smile, laugh, appreciate, cry, and reflect. It heals the parts of me that hurt the most. I can't help but share something that affects me so greatly. A Boy and a Girl is short and yet brings up so many wonderful images of love. And it uses one of my favorite words: savor. I hope that you savor this.

A Boy and a Girl

Stretched out on the grass,
a boy and a girl. 
Savoring their oranges,
giving their kisses like waves exchanging foam.

Stretched out on the beach,
a boy and a girl.
Savoring their limes,
giving their kisses like clouds exchanging foam.

Stretched out underground,
a boy and  a girl.
Saying nothing, never kissing,
giving silence for silence.

--Octavio Paz


Here is a video of Eric Whitacre's setting of the poem. Absolutely gorgeous.I wish Westminster Choir had a recording of it. That was the first time I heard the setting. But BYU does a pretty good job with it.

2 comments:

  1. Listening to this while reading the poem was very moving.

    Thanks for sharing this one. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I am glad it moved you.

    ReplyDelete