November 22, 2011

How-To Tuesday: Magazine Poetry

This week I thought I would show how to make some poetry. This is not an original idea, I have seen it done many times over the years, but it's so much fun and the possibilities really are endless. I think it's less intimidating than sitting down and trying to write a poem for scratch. These are great for journal entries, or gifts for someone special. You could even turn it into a card, or if you want a HUGE project try altering an entire book. So here we go!

MATERIALS

1. Choose a topic (or don't, just let words organically jump out at you)
2. Start blacking out words and letters with your pen/marker.
3. Leave some words and phrases unscribbled until you have a sentence.
4. Keep going until your have said everything you want with your poem.
Yeah pretty simple I know.. I probably didn't need to write a tutorial on it, but whatever. Here's an example of one of mine:

It reads:

Heave.
Impossibly steep road.
Breath in the weight of the mountain.
Destination.
Nettles waiting; stinging bare skin.
Gentle urge.
You run.

 Have fun. Let me know if you make any and I'll post.

No comments:

Post a Comment