November 4, 2011

This is Just to Say

I have a journal in which I write down poems that move me. Typically my journals are filled with art and doodles but I wanted the poems to speak for themselves. Recently I have been transferring the poetry into a different journal that I like better, which is a lot of fun because I get to read all of the poems that made me laugh and cry all over again. I thought I would share with you one of my favorite poems:

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plumbs
that were in
the ice box

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet 
and so cold.

-- William Carlos Williams

It's a simple poem which I find funny; I like to read it slowly so that I can really experience the line breaks and form he uses. It's simple enough that I even read it to the 5 year old I babysat last year and we had a whole conversation about it. He talked about it to other people for weeks. So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment